What is RPAC?
Since 1969, the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) has promoted the election of pro-REALTOR® candidates across the United States. The purpose of RPAC is clear: voluntary contributions made by REALTORS® are used to help elect candidates who understand and support their interests. These are not members’ dues; this is money given freely by REALTORS® in recognition of the importance of the political process. The REALTORS® Political Action Committee and other political fundraising are the keys to protecting and promoting the real estate industry.
Why should I care about RPAC?
Like it or not, government and the political process directly impacts the ability of real estate professionals to be profitable. As REALTORS®, we have two choices: We can either be players in the political process, or become victims of it. RPAC is how REALTORS® get and keep a seat at the table.
Why should I contribute to RPAC in addition to my membership renewal?
Federal law prohibits the use of your dues dollars for political purposes. RPAC is funded entirely by the voluntary investments of REALTORS®.
No one is asking you for a contribution, donation, or gift. That implies that you're never going to see your money again. By fighting to protect property rights and keep the government out of your checkbook, RPAC becomes your best investment in your industry, your firm, and your career.
How will my investment be used?
100% of your RPAC investment is used to elect candidates at the local, state, and national levels who both understand and support REALTOR® issues. 70 percent of each contribution is utilized by Georgia RPAC for use in state elections and the remaining 30 percent is used by National RPAC in Congressional races across the country.
Candidates who receive support from RPAC are not selected based on their political party or ideology, but solely on their support of real estate issues. Our legislative allies are members of the REALTOR® Party. The REALTOR® Party supports the issues that are important to you as a REALTOR®, regardless of political party affiliation.
Is my RPAC investment tax deductible?
Your investment is not deductible on your federal or state income tax returns.
How does my investment pay off?
Below are some examples of how RPAC creates return on your investment:
- Fought to have local jurisdictions include real estate as an essential service.
- Worked with cities and counties to establish remote permit processing options for the real estate industry.
- Promoted best practices and protocols for REALTORS® to operate during the pandemic.
- Worked to establish provisions state wide for remote closings.
- Helped establish remote notary to keep transactions moving.
- Protected development in Georgia by expanding third party inspection provisions to include high rise buildings.
- Fought to make sure the real estate industry was included in provisions of the CARES Act including supporting forgivable small business loans.
- Worked to have REALTORS® included in unemployment benefits they are traditionally excluded from.
- Assured Congress established mortgage protections to support home ownership through the pandemic.
GARPAC contributions are voluntary and are used for political purposes. Contributions are not deductible for Federal Income Tax purposes. The Association will not favor or disadvantage anyone by reason of the amount of their contribution, and you may refuse to contribute without reprisal by the Association. Seventy percent of each contribution is split between Georgia RPAC to support state and local political candidates and Georgia RIAC for issues mobilization and education. Thirty percent is sent to National RPAC to support Federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2 U.S.C. 441a.