Congress Passes $2 Trillion CARES Act; What it Means for REALTORS®
March 31, 2020
As the House of Representatives’ on Friday passed a historic COVID-19 relief package and President Trump signed it into law, the National Association of REALTORS® published a comprehensive guide to the $2 trillion, 880-page bill educating REALTORS® on the many benefits secured by NAR.
“This bipartisan relief bill delivers a much-needed win for the American people and for our nation’s 1.4 million REALTORS®,” said NAR President Vince Malta. “Over recent weeks, NAR has worked tirelessly with Congressional leaders to ensure small business owners, the self-employed and independent contractors were included in the federal response to this national crisis. With every two home sales generating one job in this country, the real estate industry will represent a key piece of our national recovery, and NAR will continue fighting for key provisions in a fourth relief package expected in the coming weeks.”The measure includes:
- $350 billion for the Small Business Administration 7(a) loan program, allowing eligible small businesses to secure up to $10 million toward mortgage interest, rents, utilities and payroll costs.
- A significant expansion of unemployment insurance for the self-employed and independent contractors that could provide benefits for up to 39 weeks. These workers are not usually covered under traditional state unemployment benefit programs.
- An employee retention tax credit estimated to provide $50 billion to companies that retain existing employees.
- Rebates of $1,200 to single filers and $2,400 to joint filers, plus $500 for each child, subject to income limitations.
- A 60-day foreclosure moratorium and up to 1 year of mortgage forbearance.
Among a host of other initiatives, NAR is also working with lawmakers to expand access to remote online notary services and provide direct rental assistance for families who have income loss due to COVID-19.
Read the full summary: 2020 CARES Act
About the PBOR Market Brief
The Paulding Board of REALTORS® (PBOR) Market Brief is compiled by First Multiple Listing Service (FMLS). For more information on details of this month's report, please contact the Board at 770.866.1397.
*Each month, the numbers reported for the previous month are updated to reflect additional recordings.
About the Paulding Board of REALTORS®
The Paulding Board of REALTORS® (PBOR) has been an instrumental factor in the growth of real estate in Paulding County, Georgia for more than a decade. PBOR serves as a central source of information for its members, with mainly focusing on real estate education, the promotion of professionalism in the industry and representing REALTORS® members with legislative initiatives to create positive change for the real estate community.
About First Multiple Listing Service
First Multiple Listing Service (FMLS) is the premier data services provider for real estate professionals in Georgia. FMLS was founded in 1957 by a group of Brokers who wanted to share their listings and connect buyers and sellers. Today FMLS is the largest MLS in Georgia & the 4th largest MLS in the United States, serving nearly 54,000 real estate Agents & Brokers. For additional information or to start a discussion about how to partner with FMLS please contact email@example.com.